Department: Respite Care Program
Reports to: Respite Care Program Manager
Benefits: Medical, dental, 10 vacation days in the initial four years, sick leave, 11 holidays.
FLSA: Non-exempt, full-time.
Location: Oakland, CA. This position is onsite.
Start Date: Available immediately.
About EOCP: Founded in 1990, EOCP is a dynamic and growing organization that provides safety-net and rapid re-housing services to a diverse base of individuals and families experiencing homelessness in Alameda County.
Position Summary: The Respite Care Program Health Coach works at EOCP's Respite Care Program located at Crossroads Emergency Housing. The program provides recuperative care and temporary shelter for homeless men being discharged from the Alameda Health System (formerly Alameda County Medical Center) who do not have a home and do not require further hospitalization or skilled medical care.
The Health Coach is supervised by the Respite Care Program Manager and works collaboratively with the Respite Care Program Manager and several Health Assistants. This position ensures that all Respite Care clients learn and implement the principles of self-care through a range of wellness activities including daily exercise routines, nutrition education, and other health education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides information to clients about the medical system and the principles of self-care
- Assists clients to take ownership of their health
- Develops exercise routines for clients in Respite Care
- Structures and implements health related activities for Respite Care clients such as meditation, nutrition education, recovery group, etc.
- Provides emotional support to Respite Care clients as needed
- Provides assistance to clients to ensure they meet their health goals by reviewing their care plans weekly to determine status and assist in problem solving as needed
- Evaluates with the client the outcome of their care plan
- Obtains information about a person's health history and health problems to develop approach to health coaching
- Collaborates with EOCP case managers, AHS personnel and other service providers
- Conducts facilitation of small groups of clients to discuss issues related to health goals
- Attends case conference to review client case load and problem solve as needed
- Participates in weekly Wellness meetings and groups
- Provides escort service for important appointments
- Works closely with Respite Care Program Manager and Behavioral Health Case Manager to develop client care plans
- Health Coach certification
- Current CPR certification from an approved program
- At least two years of verifiable work experience which must have been gained within the last five years working with a culturally diverse population performing a range of the following duties: assistance with client assessments, providing input into the development of client health plans, participation in a multidisciplinary team, providing supportive counseling to clients, ensuring coordination of services/resources, and implementing health promotion and education activities.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and data entry programs
- Able to navigate the Internet
- Excellent and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills in performing duties effectively, efficiently and productively
- Experience and strong commitment to working with homeless people
- Sensitivity and experience working with a racially, ethnically, and sexually diverse client population
- Proactive work ethic and dedication to improving the lives of others
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in high pressure environment
- High degree of professional integrity
- TB clearance
- Drug free and sober
Send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use subject line: LName, FName for Respite Care Health Coach (your first name and last name).
In the cover letter, answer these questions:
- What experience, if any, do you have providing health coaching services to individuals (women and men) experiencing homelessness?
- Please describe your health coaching training and experience.