Reports to: Food Service Manager
Department: Food Service
FLSA Status: Part time, Non-Exempt
Budgetary Line Responsibility: None
EOCP offers emergency shelter and transitional housing to homeless and vulnerable residents of Oakland and Alameda County. EOCP's mission is to empower individuals and families to regain a life of self-reliance. We provide dignified, compassionate, and comprehensive support services that prepare homeless people to successfully transition to well-being and sustainable permanent housing.
The Prep/Line Cook: Accurately and efficiently cook all food as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Line Cook is Responsible /performing basic food preparation tasks and assisting the Food Service Manager and Head Cook. They typically complete smaller responsibilities like cutting meat, mixing sauces or chopping vegetables. Line Cooks are often assigned a certain task each time they work and will stay in that section of the food preparation line for a majority of their shift unless they are asked to move about to do other kitchen task. They're responsible for cleaning prep station and making sure it's set up properly before the start of their shift. They'll also stock the kitchen as needed. Line cooks must regularly check the food prep and storage areas to ensure they don't violate any health codes or safety regulations. Line Cook has an up to date SerSafe Food Handling Certification. Must have Valid Driver's license
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Prep/Line Cook/Deliver Meals
- Begin work wearing mask and chef jacket or chef shirt.
- Thoroughly read your daily task sent out in a text please respond when task is complete.
- Assist with stocking and setting up kitchen stations.
- Put away air dry pots and pans.
- Until further notice submits weekly COVID test.
- Until further notice upon arrival take temperature.
- Preparing food including cleaning and cutting ingredients.
- Complete daily cleaning schedule of appliances, food preparation, and storage items.
- Plating prepared foods based on senior cook guidance.
- Washing and cleaning the kitchen and cooking utensils and storing the equipment at the end of shift.
- Organize donated food stock, regularly rotating using the FIFO system, and ensuring that food items in freezers and refrigerators are covered and labeled appropriately.
- Ensuring that the kitchen operation procedures and hygiene meet food safety standards and regulations.
- Once a week do a thorough clean in the kitchen.
- Line Cook are required to work in a fast pace.
- Line cook must be great multi-tasking often have several preparation tasks to complete at once.
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
- Open to learn on the job even if they have prior work experience. This is because EOCP follows different procedures, and there is a wide range of safety and regulatory policies.
- Prepares a variety of food items for cooking in ovens, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Ability to work overtime if needed.
- Complete opening and closing checklists.
- Refer to Daily Prep list at the start of each shift for assigned duties.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, oven, fryers, pasta/rice cooker, sauté' burners and refrigeration /freezer equipment.
- Handles stores and rotates all products properly.
- Promptly reports equipment and food quality problems to Food Service Manager
- Informs Food Service Manager immediately of product shortages.
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Food Service Manager.
- Deliver and serve meal to Family Matter's and drop off meals to Our House, Veteran at Hotels twice daily.
- Only take accurate 15 minutes breaks and 30 minutes lunch break
Education and Experience
- Completion of vocational school or two-year associate degree
- At least one year of cooking experience
- Excellent kitchen knowledge and ability to work as part of a team.
- A valid California Driver's License and ability to pass a drug test and a background check.
- A COVID vaccination, booster shot, or willingness to receive a vaccination and booster.
- Strong organization and active listening skills.
- The ability to work on your feet for most of the day and lift 30 pounds at a time
- Exceptional time management skills
- Maintain a positive attitude with residents, volunteers and staff. Assist in training and coordination of volunteers under the direction of the Food Service Manager.
- Attend all required supervisory meeting, staff meetings and trainings as required.
Send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com.
Use subject line: FName, LName for Prep Line Cook (your first name and last name).
In the cover letter, answer these questions:
- What kind of experience do you have working with the homeless community?
- How well do you perform in a pressured, fast-paced environment and, in consultation with supervisor?