Department: Supportive Services for Veterans & Family (SSVF)
Reports to: SSVF Rapid Rehousing Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Directly Leads: N/A
Budgetary Line Responsibility: N/A
Salary Range: $60,000-$65,000
Shift: Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:30pm
The SSVF Case Manager is responsible for coordinating case management and program services for an assigned caseload of Veteran single adults and families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Establishes a network of services and support that will enable each Veteran to become self-sufficient and capable of achieving permanent housing. Case Managers are expected to adhere to the highest standards of service in the performance of their job assignment at all times. They promote a positive, professional attitude towards veteran singles and families, staff members and other collaborative partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assesses Veteran households for appropriate service placement and connection to a funding stream.
- Presents service assessments and makes recommendations to Rapid Rehousing Manager.
- Assesses client for strengths and barriers, including employment, behavioral health, legal matters, etc. and refers the program participant to appropriate services.
- Develops and monitors service plans with clients that identify specific actions needed to successfully stabilize Veteran families in permanent housing. Updates contact logs and progress notes regularly.
- Educates participants about budgeting, financial management, including support with filing tax returns, filing for Earned Income Tax Credit, banking and credit repair.
- Refers veterans to all appropriate public benefit programs. Assists with collecting documentation and provides transportation to appointments as necessary.
- Schedules and maintains regular meetings with Veterans. This requires flexibility of meeting locations to include, HUB- site/ service facility or client residence.
- Collects income verification and recommends appropriate temporary financial assistance to the Rapid Rehousing Manager. Informs participants of their rent/ deposit obligations and submits completed documents in a timely manner.
- Tracks Veteran household referrals, monitoring their progress and success.
- Regularly reports Veteran progress to Rapid Rehousing Manager.
- Completes In House Standardized Intake, Service Transaction and Exit forms for HMIS. Submits completed forms to the appropriate staff member within 24-hours of service entry or exit.
- Makes recommendations for service transfers, discontinuance of service and service extensions.
- Reassess and re-certify Veteran households every 90 days as long as they are actively participating in the program.
- Maintains case files in accordance with SSVF grant and EOCP guidelines.
- Actively participates in case-conference and monthly SSVF Program meeting.
- Ensures reading and proficiency of SSVF Program Manual and SSVF's Policies and Procedures.
- Consults the SSVF University courses and readings on an ongoing basis.
- Attends EOCP internal meetings and outside trainings as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Responsible for forming and maintain ongoing partnerships with outer-agency service providers that will assist homeless and at risk Veteran singles and families in the following areas: SSVF Outreach, SSVF Housing Navigator, SSVF Employment Specialist, the VA (VA Social Workers), HUD-VASH Supervisor, substance abuse and mental health interventions, employment agencies, Housing Authorities and other affordable housing agencies, Oakland Unified School District, Head Start, Department of Social Services - Cal-Works, Bananas and/or other daycare providers, Children's Hospital and/or other health care providers, local colleges and universities, high schools, churches, and additional resources in SSVF network as listed SSVF RFP
- Gathers statistical data to monitor program effectiveness.
- Maintains an accurate account of Veteran progress, via case file progress notes.
- Ensures that Veteran household surveys are completed.
- Writes a success story monthly.
- Assists with providing input for grant reports.
- Promote a positive living environment for veteran singles and families by modeling a positive, professional demeanor.
- Promote a positive work environment for team members by modeling a positive, professional attitude at all times.
Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Arts degree in social work, psychology or related field required;
- 3-5 years of experience working as a case manager with high risk, low income families, experience working with single Veterans and families preferred.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse ethnic backgrounds.
- Knowledgeable about dynamics of homelessness, families, substance abuse, mental health, domestic violence and parenting.
- Knowledge of basic counseling and interviewing techniques. Motivational Interviewing experience/training preferred.
- Knowledge of rapid re-housing techniques preferred.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain organized case management files.
- Ability to produce well-written reports, memos and other correspondence in a timely fashion.
- Ability to work effectively with a team of other professionals and coordinate services/activities with each member, as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a calm demeanor and communicate effectively with residents (verbal and written).
- Ability to use conflict-resolution skills to de-escalate volatile situations with clients.
- Strong self-awareness and sense of limitations. Appropriate professional and personal boundaries with high integrity.
- Ability to show flexibility and respond to the needs of families.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English, second language, especially Spanish or American Sign Language a plus
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: High School level
REASONING ABILITY: Able to utilize good judgment, think logically and make sound decisions. Demonstrated ability to outline realistic service plans.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Experience working with computers and successful utilization of Word and Excel. Must possess knowledge of the internet and be able to retrieve resources and email.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: California Driver's license and insurance
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must dress neatly and professional when reporting to work. This position requires an annual tuberculosis test.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Ability to work in a diverse and stressful environment with families with multiple issues.
Send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com.
Use subject line: FName, LName for SSVF Case Manager (your first name and last name).
In the cover letter, answer these questions:
- What kind of experience do you have working with the homeless community?
- How well do you perform in a pressured, fast-paced environment and, in consultation with supervisor?