Department: Respite Care Program
Reports to: Respite Care Program Manager
Pay Rate: $22.00/hour
Shift: Swing (3:00pm-11:30pm)
Directly Leads: None
Budgetary Line Responsibility: None
The Respite Health Assistant works at EOCP's Respite Care Program located at Crossroads Emergency Housing. The program provides recuperative care and temporary shelter for patients discharged from the Alameda Health System who do not have a home and do not require further hospitalization or skilled medical care.
This position ensures that all respite care clients are safe and achieve wellness. The Respite Care Health Assistant is supervised by the Respite Care Program Manager and works collaboratively with other Health Assistants, a part-time Health Coach, shelter staff and the AHS Care Transitions Team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates as member of multidisciplinary team providing services to homeless patients discharged from the Alameda Health System (Highland, San Leandro, Alameda, and Fairmont hospitals)
- Ensures that clients are supported and monitored on an ongoing basis
- Assist with de-escalation, if situations arise
- Coordinates with Crossroads staff to obtain client resources and services, including coordination of nutritional regimens with Food Services staff
- Conducts client intake process: helps process admission paperwork, orients clients to facility, explains program and procedures
- Performs regular client observations and reports any changes in a timely and appropriate manner to Respite Care Manager
- Assists clients with activities of daily living (AOL) where necessary
- Administers client medications and maintains current medication log
- Assesses daily vital signs as directed by supervisor in a timely and appropriate manner
- Assists with client discharge to emergency shelter program or other community programs
Assures coordination with the case management staff as needed
- Actively listens to and refers clients with substance abuse and mental health issues to onsite Substance Abuse Counselor and assigned case management staff
- Re-enforces preventative health education strategies with clients in coordination with Health Coach and Respite Care Manager
- Assists with client appointment scheduling as directed by supervisor
- Provides light maintenance of the respite care room as needed: cleans laundry, empties trash can, maintains respite care room orderly and clean
- Attends Alameda County's Homeless Management Information System training and acquires certification
- Utilizes HMIS to collect and track client data by conducting client intake
- Documents client status per shift in log, client case file, and to Respite Care Manager
- Attends daily meetings to report any client issues following shift
- Makes copies of client documents as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications from an approved program
- Possession of a Community Health Worker certificate or CNA level certification
- At least two years of verifiable work experience which must have been gained within the last five years working with a culturally diverse population performing a range of the following duties: assistance with client intakes, providing input into the development of client health plans, participation in a multidisciplinary team, providing emotional support to clients, ensuring coordination of services/resources, and participating in health promotion and education activities.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and data entry programs
- Able to navigate the Internet
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills in performing duties effectively, efficiently and productively
- Experience and strong commitment to working with homeless people
- Sensitivity and experience working with a racially, ethnically, and sexually diverse client population
- Proactive work ethic and dedication to improving the lives of others
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in high pressure environment
- High degree of professional integrity
- TB clearance
- Drug free and sober
Send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use subject line: FName, LName for Respite Care Health Assistant (your first name and last name).
In the cover letter, answer these questions:
What kind of experience do you have working with the homeless community?
How well do you perform in a pressured, fast-paced environment and, in consultation with a supervisor?